If you are in any financial profession, chances are likely that you will come across trusts when working with your clients. A trust is a simple concept to grasp, however, it gets complicated very quickly thanks to all the Income Tax provisions that apply to trusts.
Having a good foundational understanding and knowledge of trusts is crucial.
Trusts can play a vital role in a client’s planning, but it can also be detrimental. There have been numerous changes to trust law, making it important for clients’ trusts to be reviewed regularly to ensure they still comply.
The Fundamentals of Trusts program is your first step into the world of trusts.
What to expect
This program focuses on the structure of a trust and in particular Income Tax and how specific sections work together to determine who is liable for tax. This program will equip you to do the following:
- Choose the correct type of trust for a specific need
- Apply the anti-avoidance provisions contained in Section 7 of the Income Tax Act
- Apply Section 25B of the Income Tax Act
- Apply Section 7C of the Income Tax Act
As part of the program, you will receive:
- Fundamentals of Trusts 2019 Training Manual (PDF Download)
- Video Lessons
- Examples to help you understand the concepts more easily
- Challenges to help you gauge your progress
- Downloadable cheat sheets
For a full breakdown of the program, see the syllabus below.
Learning Outcomes / Objectives
- Correct structuring of a trust
- Different types of trusts and their use
- Importance of managing trusts
- Responsibilities of trustees
- Vested rights and their implications
- Important tax aspects related to trusts
- Loans to trusts by connected persons
- Requirements to deregister a trust
- Costs associated with managing and running a trust
- Basic understanding of Income Tax will be beneficial;
- Basic understanding of the concept of a trust will be beneficial;
- Eagerness to learn.
Who must enroll in the course
- Financial Planners & Advisers;
- Tax Consultants
- Business Owners
- Broker Consultants who want to provide enhanced value to their panel;
- Sales and Branch Managers;
- Franchise Principals;
- Key Individuals;
- Support staff that helps with the Financial Planning process;
- Students studying an NQF5, 6, 7 or 8 qualification in Wealth Management / Financial Planning.
The program starts off with some basics and it quickly builds from there to an intermediate level.
The program is rated as Beginner/Intermediate, as it is aimed at laying a solid foundation and a basic understanding of the subject. You will greatly benefit from this course and have more knowledge and skills to grow your practice and to increase the value you offer your clients.
CPD can be claimed for all our programs. Our programs comply with all the requirements for Fit and Proper with the FSCA as well as the Financial Planning Institute. Therefore, CPD may be claimed for both purposes.
- Total Verifiable CPD points on successful completion: 1.5
- 60% pass rate with 3 attempts
- Approval number: FPI190400183
Not sure yet if the course is for you?